Sunday, March 21, 2010

David Tennant's final episode (Doctor Who)

I love Doctor Who a lot. As a fictional character he is amazing. And David Tennant is my favorite Doctor. Admittedly, I have only seen two -- Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant... and a little bit of Matt Smith much as it pains me to say it, but David (yes, I call him David, get over it) brought such an energy to the show and to everything he did on it, that I got quite a crush on the Doctor, and accepted the fact that most of the girls got crushes on him as well. Because he's just so good.

Anyways. Because I had such a crush on him, I didn't want to finish David's tenure as the Doctor. So I stopped watching half way through Planet of the Dead for a very long time. I was just so upset and unhappy about the fact that he would be leaving that putting it off seemed the best way to soothe the hurt.

Well, I finally finished this weekend, and let me say, in terms of story this was amazingly perfect (well in terms of everything and breaking my heart over and over again, but this is a blog about writing, so focus). The one mar, I must mention, will be quick.

In Planet of the Dead Christina asks if she can come along and the Doctor says "No." When asked why he says its because there have been people with him but they've all left him. This feels odd to be honest, because really what happened was he lost Rose, Martha did leave him and Donna's mind had to be wiped. Not exactly leaving him. I thought a better reason would be "No, because we would be good together, very good. But it wouldn't be a good, good. We could take over the world, and you wouldn't stop us. And I need someone to stop me sometimes, from doing the wrong thing." But ah well, it was a tiny mar in the overall story.

Then with Waters of Mars we got a magnificent story and this huge hubris from the Doctor. Pride cometh before the fall, and we knew that this was the building to the final fall -- and David's end. And this worked so well in The End of Time.

The reason it worked so well was because of the ending. The Doctor's last act is to save someone. The symmetry of it -- one where he was saving someone for his own personal happiness, and one against every molecule of his being, yet knowing that if he doesn't he can never forgive himself. Its perfect. Its beautiful.

Then there is other good stuff about dialogue and perfect moments of solemnity and comedy, but I think I will leave you with this: When David Tennant says "I don't wanna go." in the voice, and with that look, doesn't it break your heart? I cry every time I watch it, and I've watched it many times now. At least Matt Smith can make me laugh through the tears at the "I'm a girl!"

More to come when the new season starts and I will try not to let Matt Smith ruin it for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment