Monday, March 1, 2010

On Nights With Full Moons

I get crazy ideas from time to time -- usually around the time of the full moon.

I blame it on Ian, Molly and Alice, my werewolf characters, who get all antsy when there's a full moon and want to be written. Even when I have school work to be done and my brain isn't quite in full gear.

I decided tonight that I was wasting a perfectly good title for a blog on my Day 0 Project. Especially since I wasn't doing anything for it. So I deleted all those entries, and stared at the title and it occured to me -- what do I love most in the world? Writing, that's what. And what comes second? Talking about writing.

Now I know that most people don't like to read about unpublished stuff, and to be honest, it gets in the way of publishing to put your stuff up where people can read it, and on a little blog like this, there is no point to trying to get people involved, but I can talk about the writing in things like already published novels, or in movies, or in, and this is my favorite, TV shows.

Joss Whedon in his commentary on the Dollhouse episode "Man on the Street" said "can we add a little science to our fiction." and I liked the phrase so much I took it and made it into my blog title. And so this is adding a little science to our fiction: looking at the elements that make up TV shows, and movies and novels and short stories, and writing about them.

So, yes, this is what this blog is about.

But before I drive into this world of fiction and talking about it, perhaps I should introduce myself. I'm Rosey, a junior at American University, double majoring in biology and psychology. I have been writing since I was five, and I started my first novel when I was eleven. I finished my first novel when I was seventeen however, by participating in NaNoWriMo. Since then I've written the rough drafts of seven different novels, and am currently working on an eighth -- which might possibly be edited and sent out if I ever feel its ready. I watch a lot of TV (see here for a list of shows I watch/own), love watching movies, and listen to books on my iPod almost constantly. I have a morbid sensibility and a dark sense of humor, like action and snarkiness over romance, and my tastes in TV shows, movies and books reflect that.

Despite that, I tend to see the bright side of everything -- I just tend not to believe it will happen.

I am an avid reader of TV Tropes. Two things about TV Tropes: 1. I believe it is an excellent source for a writer -- just to see what is out there, what has been done, and how some of the most successful have managed to become successful. 2. One of my dreams is to have a page on TV tropes that was not created by me, about something I have written. I do edit on TV tropes -- if you want to find me over there, I'm frenchrabbi.

Anyways, this is my blog. Feel free to read/comment/tell me I'm stupid. I'm good for it all. Each of my entries will focus on an episode, or book, or short story or movie, and see what the story has to offer by way of devices, plot, character development and so on. I'll do a recap of what happened and include points -- but like in Who's Line is it Anyways, the points don't really matter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment